THE AKAITCHO TERRITORY DENE FIRST NATIONS
(" the AKAITCHO DFN" )
HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA
THE GOVERNMENT OF THE NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
(Together known as the "Parties")
1. The Crown entered into Treaty #8 with the ancestors of the Akaitcho DFN at Deninu Kue in 1900;
2. The ancestors of the Akaitcho DFN entered into Treaty #8 with the understanding that it was for as long as the sun shines, the rivers flow and the grass grows;
3. The Parties have entered into a Framework Agreement on July 25, 2000 to guide the negotiation of the Akaitcho agreement;
4. The Parties recognize that certain lands within Akaitcho DFN asserted territory are of environmental, cultural, economic and spiritual importance to the Akaitcho DFN.
5. The Parties have recognized that appropriate interim measures are necessary in order to advance negotiations.